Some of the following documents are in Adobe PDF or Microsoft Word formats.
If you have Adobe Acrobat Reader or Microsoft Word installed on your computer, you may view the file in your browser by clicking on the appropriate link.
To save the file to your computer, right-click on the link (control-click on a Mac), then choose “Save Target As…” or “Save Link As…” from the menu.
You can download the Acrobat Reader for free at the Adobe Web site.
General Information on Standards Articles
- Standards for domestic abuse perpetrator interventions (accessible): This report was commissioned by the Home Office and written by: Professor Nicole Westmarland (Durham University Centre for Research into Violence and Abuse) and Professor Liz Kelly (London Metropolitan University Child and Woman Abuse Studies Unit). The research was supported by: Dr Vishal Bhavsar, Fernanda Chacon, Helen Bonnick, Professor Catherine Donovan, Professor Geetanjali Gangoli, Dr Kelly Henderson, Kate Iwi, Sara Kirkpatrick, Professor Marai Larasi, Dr Chris Newman, Dr Nicole Renehan, and Dr Hannana Siddiqui. Respect and SafeLives were the practitioner partners in this project.
- 2023 Standards for Domestic Abuse Perpetrator Interventions: Overarching principles and practice guidelines for commissioning and delivering interventions for perpetrators of domestic abuse
This report was Westmarland commissioned by the Home Office and written by: Professor Nicole and (Durham University Centre for Research into Violence and Abuse) Professor Liz Kelly (London Metropolitan University Child and Woman Abuse Studies Unit) .
- Assessing and Monitoring Programs For Men Who Abuse Women by Lundy Bancroft
- A Review of Standards for Batterer Intervention Programs
- Batterer Intervention: Program Approaches and Criminal Justice Strategies (this is the .pdf version)
- Controversies and Recent Studies of Batterer Intervention Program Effectiveness
- Batterer Intervention: Program Approaches and Criminal Justice Strategies
- Batterer Intervention Programs: State Standards for Service Providers
- Batterer Intervention Programs: State Standards for Service Providers, Prepared by: Heather Parker, for the National Judicial Education Program
- 2022 Congressional Virtual Roundtable: Reinventing Interventions for Abusive Partners Resources list
- State Standards for Batterer Intervention Programs: A Content Analysis
International Standards Information:
Prepared by: Heather Parker for the National Judicial Education Program INTIMATE PARTNER SEXUAL ASSAULT: ADJUDICATING THIS HIDDEN DIMENSION OF DOMESTIC VIOLENCE CASES © 2007, National Judicial Education Program
- Safety For Battered Women Monitoring Manual (Please note this is a large file. You will be able to view this file electronically but you not be able to print this file. You will also get an error message when you open the document, but you will still be able to view the contents).
- Facebook resource on battering intervention programs listed by state (all content is public)
State Standards Listing by State
As of September 2022 there are 46 States which have standards for Battering Intervention Programs
States without standards: Mississippi, New York (New York does have guidelines but NOT standards), Pennsylvania, and South Dakota
27 States have a published list approved Battering Intervention Programs